Monday, June 9, 2008

Part 3: Chapters 7 and 8

Wow has it been a long time! Have you all been busy with end of year parties, recitals, performances etc.? We are beginning our summer schedule/routine today and I am ready. (I hope). I hope you are continuing to enjoy the book...but most of all I hope you new moms (for the third time!) are soaking up those baby moments...soft skin, fuzzy hair, tiny toes! I am going to post about two chapters today since I haven't posted in over a month! Okay, I have to admit when I began reading chapter 7 and she was talking about gluing her teapot and alluding to how she had done this a lot, my mind went straight to that Brady Bunch episode when they broke the vase..."mom always said, 'don't play ball in the house.'" I know it is sad that 70s and 80s sitcoms still take up space in my brain! I do love all of her relationship principles in chapter 7. My husband and I have spent much time in late night conversation and prayer about these principles and our goals. We have started doing one on one outings with the kids too. (see "something to try..." in chapter 7) We have always planned on doing this and through the years have done so periodically. But I am realizing that if you don't plan it and make it a priority the days, weeks and months go by and it just doesn't happen. My #1 and I went to the paint your own pottery studio together. I was planning on painting something too, but am so glad I didn't. I just watched her paint, was 100% focused on her, listening to her chat away about her painting and what she wants to be when she grows up. After painting she wanted to go the bookstore and share hot chocolate and a cookie. She talked so openly and freely and gave me suggestions for what she would like to be different at home. (Her main request was to be able to help me cook more!...I never would have thought this is something she wanted) It was a wonderful night. I am looking forward to having this time with our other children too.
I enjoyed chapter eight too. Interestingly, my husband excels in the cultivating areas. He has always read beautiful poetry to our children, listened to classical music with them and taken them on adventures to the mountains, art museums, and gardens. We have always taken them out to dinner with us and the majority of the time they have great manners and behave better than most adults in the restaurant. :)
We will begin discussing Part 4: A Mother's Heart for Her Home in the coming weeks.
I would love to hear from you...what did you think of part 3? has reading this book changed you? changed what you do? I look forward to reading your posts and comments!

No comments: