Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chapter 1

I just loved the whole chapter but what really struck me was near the end..."This kingdom of home is the place of refuge, comfort, and inspiration.  It is a rich world where great souls can be formed, and from which men and women of great conviction and dedication can emerge."  YES!!!

Oh, how I have asked God to make our home a place of refuge.  Before I became a mom, I always, somewhat pridefully if I'm honest, envisioned any home of mine being a place that my kids' friends always wanted to be in.  Maybe it will be that someday...our boys are 12, 7, and 4, so they have not quite reached that "kids go wherever they choose to hang out" stage yet.  I am perfectly happy for our home to become that, but it has not been that way so far.  In fact, our kids rarely have friends over.  This used to bother me...should I invite them more?  Is there something wrong with us?  Do my boys not feel comfortable asking??  Finally, I realized that perhaps our boys are in need of a refuge from other kids.  Don't get me wrong...our kids have good friends, but we all know that its nice to come home to the people who know you the best and still love you.  I really am fine if our home becomes the hang out spot, but for now I'm content in the knowledge that we have a refuge going on here.

I hope our home is a place of comfort.  I will never forget the day our oldest, Isaac, who is now 12, got off the preschool bus and burst into tears.  His preschool teacher had called me to warn me that he got in trouble at school because another boy dared him to eat rocks and he did it.  He had no idea that I knew, though, and he had been holding in the gush of tears until he saw my face.  What a rush of "motherliness" came to me in that instant.  He saw me, with our home in the distance, and he knew he could let his guard down.  I hope our boys will always know this will be a place of comfort.

But then I read on...and I see words like "inspiration", "conviction", and "dedication". I wonder if I land on the refuge and comfort side of things too often. I'm struck with the notion that my husband is really good at these words and sometimes I expect him to be more of a comforter...but maybe God knew what he was doing when he put us together to raise these boys into men???

I'm humbled and shocked really that God has trusted me to be the mama of these three. I long to be found faithful...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your post and how each of us has a different story, but the same beautiful, creative Author. I don't think I had much of a vision of my home before children. I know that probably sounds terrible, but so much of my life before motherhood was about me. I did not understand God's calling to serve...selflessly, tirelessly, intentionally, for the sake of His kingdom. It took having children for "my" kingdom to truly be fully surrendered. Through reading and soaking up His word, pouring my heart out to Him many a night and day, and the mentorship of Sally and other mothers, I have understood and embraced the vision of God's calling of motherhood. And as you are, I am also truly humbled that God would trust me with these four gifts!