Friday, August 19, 2011

Created: Reflections Part 2



The first part of the Created message that Sally shared with us is that we are created for God, by God, to know, love and serve God.  My pastor frequently says, "If God created life, then He gets to define it."  God defines His greatest commandment to us in Luke 10:27, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." (see also Mark 12:30, Deuteronomy 6:5, John 17, Revelation 2:4)

Sally shared that God designed the life that each of us lives...those children, that husband, those deaths...these are all our portion, our cup.  That is the place you can most glorify God.  We have a choice each day to take our cup.  Jesus accepted His cup and by taking it brought salvation.  As we live our lives each day, ask, "I wonder what you have to teach me here?"

Through reflecting on the scripture and truth that Sally imparted, I am learning that the cultivation and expression of this love and choosing each day to take my portion, will not just happen because I think about it every now and then.  It is an active, intentional, daily process.  Not motivated by guilt, obligation, or fear, but out of the desire of my heart to know my creator, be more like Him and reflect His love and glory to those I am around each day.

Cultivate: v.  to promote or improve the growth of by labor and attention

I need to cultivate loving God, loving scripture, and allowing this transformation and filling of my heart to pour over onto those entrusted to my care.  I need to cultivate these things in my children by intentionally seeing all of the moments in my day with them as my portion, my place to best glorify God. 

Several months ago God spoke to my heart that I need to "take time to receive."  I spend a lot of my time giving to my children, husband, and those around me and even at times feeling like I am giving in my quiet time as I pour out my heart to Him.  But He clearly showed me that I need to be still, be quiet, and take the time to receive from Him.  The imagery was of a little girl curled up in a big comfy chair with her loving father.  She does not feel restless, desiring to get up and get her list of tasks accomplished for the day.  She really is not even thinking of anything other than soaking up her father's presence and love.  And after receiving from God, we will have the ability to cultivate.  This is what we were created for.

My encouragement to you is to cultivate intentionally today.

And for a little motivation to cultivate loving scripture, leave a comment with a Bible verse that you would like to memorize.  I will randomly choose the winner, and send you the scripture in adhesive vinyl (can be safely removed, but not reused) for you to put on your wall, your mirror, your journal or anywhere else you will see it each day.  You can choose the font and size too.

Photo courtesy coriwittman.com

3 comments:

Jessica Little said...

Psalm 119:17-18
17 Deal bountifully with Your servant, That I may live and keep Your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
Wonderful things from Your law.

JenniferLayne said...

Psalm 92:4-5
You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me!
I sing for joy because of what you have done.
O Lord, what great works you do!
And how deep are your thoughts.

Sarah Cantor said...

"Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousnss." 2 Corinthians 9:10 NKJV