Friday, March 14, 2008

Chapter One

Typically when I read a book I will turn down the corner of a page that I want to read something from again. I am finding that nearly every page's corner is turned down in this book! This chapter really spoke to my heart. I identified with so many things that Sally said.

"I soon discovered that life has its own ways of helping us choose." (p.12) How has life helped you choose the path of motherhood you are on?

"What had I gotten myself into?....These precious little ones had endless needs...demanded all of my body, time, life, emotions, and attention!...I often felt like a failure." (p.13) I admit that I felt a sense of relief knowing that someone writing a book about motherhood felt like a failure.

"This design doesn't mean I have to lose myself in my children's lives. On the contrary, following God's design for living is the key to finding myself--to becoming the person he had in mind for me all along." (p.15) What are some ways motherhood has changed you?

My husband and I were discussing this chapter and as Sally recommends in the "Something to try..." at the end, we wrote down our goals for us and our children. It seems that we have lived a lot "on the defensive" just tackling issues as they arise instead of setting priorities and goals and adjusting our lives and schedules so that we are spending our time on priorities. Did any of you make lists of priorities/goals? What did you discover?

Feel free to comment, post, answer questions, ask questions...I would love to hear from you.
Next week we will continue and read chapters 2 and 3, finishing Part 1: A Mother's Calling.

No comments: