Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chapter Three

I have to start this post by thanking you for your posts and comments. I feel so blessed by all of the thoughtful comments and encouragement. I love to read your different insights, advice and things that you are learning. To know that my friends are on this motherhood journey with me and to get a glimpse into your lives and hearts through this blog is very special. I find that so often with friends we chat at the park, play with our kids together, but never really get to the real stuff. Why is that? And like Jennifer said, I too would love to be at Starbucks (in a comfy chair with my venti soy no whip gingerbread latte) in conversation with all of you. But instead I am at the computer in my pjs after finishing the dishes and kitchen clean up before I start a load of laundry while my three precious babies are in bed.

The Undivided heart...oh how I identified with this chapter. The first scenario she presents is about a physician/mother. She talks about the dilemma we are confronted with, not being prepared for the reality of motherhood and feeling torn. Yes, yes and yes. I loved the analogy of randomly throwing seeds to the wind. (p.43) "Someone needs to take responsibility for their nurture, protection, nourishment, intellectual development, manners, recreation, personal needs and spiritual development. Someone needs to commit time and energy into staying close to them as they grow, encouraging and correcting and teaching." I found this to be so affirming for me. I felt like saying, "Yes! That someone is me!"
Then on just the next page she discusses the sacrifices we will need to make. I never knew how selfless of a calling motherhood is. The world is always telling me to look out for myself, put myself first, make sure I am taken care of. They are worried about me when they see me sacrificing for the greater cause of my children and family. I never thought I was a terribly selfish person before I became a wife and mother, but I never had to take care of anyone 24/7 except myself. Motherhood is revealing all of those selfish nooks and crannies in my heart. "In that moment the two conflicted drives of my heart stood out in stark contrast--my commitment to motherhood versus my lurking desire to have life my own way. ...I needed to accept days like this--my children's neediness, the myriad mindless tasks, and even my own occasional discomfort--as part of my partnering with my husband toward our mutual goal of building a godly heritage for Christ." (p.45) Oh...having life my own way...how much energy have I put into orchestrating that throughout my 33 years? And God has shown me that what he has for me is way better than anything I could have even imagined for myself. If I will just surrender, kneel at His feet and trust Him. "We yield our personal rights into his hands. We give up our time and expectations to him--and also our fears and worries about how we will manage. We trust him to take care of us and our family. We let him redirect our thinking and expectations and adjust our dreams. And we wait in faith to see the fruit of our hard labor in the lives of our children, knowing that he will be faithful to honor our commitment to him." (p.54) I have read that quote so many times...I want to remember it throughout the day as I try to keep my eyes on Him.

Sally mentions her symbolic tea cup at the end of this chapter. Do you have symbols like this?
Isn't it great that we are already doing one of Sally's "something to try" suggestions at the end of this chapter by sharing this book together on our blog?
We will begin Part two: A Mother's Heart for Her God by reading chapter four this week.

No comments: