Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chapter One Thoughts

Thank you for your posts.  I love reading about how God is using this book in your lives.  Your thoughts and insight make all that is going through my mind and heart that much more real.  Chapter One was difficult and beautiful at the same time for me.  I must admit that the vision of losing one of my children is probably my biggest fear.  Maybe it is those years of pediatric residency where I saw so much tragedy, disease, death and sadness.  But now that I have my own precious babies, I do fear losing one of them.  I try to give them the freedom they need, but balls rolling across the street, parking lots, my own driveway....all of these make my heart race.  So on one side I have this fear that I won't have one of them tomorrow, but then in the day to day with all that brings (laundry, dishes, numerous diaper changes, spilled milk, correcting attitudes, teaching, etc.), I find myself easily frustrated and at times lacking that deep joy.  Chapter one has shown me that it is okay to feel and ask the hard questions, and gives me a vision for what my heart and focus throughout each day can actually become.

1 comment:

JenniferLayne said...

Gretchen, I have had serious issues with this subject...fearing losing one of the boys. I have struggled often to let go of control, knowing I should and I need to, as much for me as for them, really. We've had issues in our marriage...times when I have thought one of the boys shouldn't do something because of safety, but Tim has thought it was fine. I have no answers...I'm just offering an "I've been there and still am" to you. Over the years, I have slowly allowed God to calm anxieties, stop racing hearts. This summer, as I watched the two big boys take off with some of our teenagers on a jet ski, I thought to myself, "I can NOT believe I'm not panicked!!". The only thing I know for sure is that I have faithfully and tearfully offered up the panic and the desire to protect to the Lord. I believe Him to be faithful, and I am grateful that He is slowly and patiently changing my heart.

Isn't she just great at describing the feelings, the angst of our hearts? I love the way she writes..I'm captured by it!!