Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hello

I feel a need to introduce myself. I wish we were at Starbucks chatting, but, since we come from 7 states and since I am iced in my house right now, I guess the old blog will have to do.

I am Jennifer. Gretchen and I are childhood friends, and I am LOVING that we are reconnected now that we are mommies. My husband has been a youth minister for 12 years and just this year became a prison chaplain in the federal prison. I have been a stay at home mom since before our oldest (Isaac, 10) was born, with the exception of some temporary teaching jobs here and there. However, just this year I started teaching part-time, just in the mornings. Our middle son (Ezra, 5) started kindergarten this year, and we also have a really funny youngest son (Simon, 2 1/2). So, I probably don't have to point out that this year has been one of huge transition for us, but one during which we have seen God's perfect provision and plan, his ability to go before us to make a path even while we are completely unaware!!

So, on to the book. I can't put it down. We have been out of school for 2 days in a row because of an ice storm, and I am seriously neglecting my children to read this book. Well, I have fed them and we did play a game of Apples to Apples tonight, but beyond that, they've been on their own. :)

I can see in my own life that I have had clearer glimpses of God in times of pain and loss. In the midst of it, I have hated the pain and loss, but on the other side, I see incredible moments of grace and growth.

I completely resonated with the discussion she had with her brother-in-law. When he said "Just that maybe...maybe you don't want to change the story, because you don't know what a different ending holds" and related it to the story of Hezekiah I was so intrigued. I had never thought to relate that concept to the story of Hezekiah, although the concept is one I have often thought about. I wrote about it in this blog a couple of years ago. My dad died when I was in college. I am an only child. I missed him (and still do) like crazy. However, I can't bring myself to want to change that part in my story. As much as I'd love to have my dad back, if I changed that detail, it might change the whole story. I was planning to transfer to a different college but I didn't because my dad died and I decided to stay in a familiar place. A year later I met my husband at college. Had I transferred I would never have met him. The whole story would have been different.

Pain and loss can change who we are. I want them to be used in my life to make me see God more clearly, but I'm afraid this doesn't always happen. I am very excited to keep reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your post. I am so thankful for your constant friendship. You have seen me through the darkest of days and have always reflected the Love of Jesus. There are times when I think about my daughter's friends and wonder if she should spend time with particular girls... those with chaotic home lives etc. And the thought quickly comes...maybe she will be their "Jennifer Enkoff"...maybe she will be the reflection of Christ's love in their lives.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and insight in this book club journey.