Sunday, February 6, 2011

Choosing to be Filled. . .

Hi, this is my first time to be a part of this book club, but how could I refuse sweet Gretchen ~ especially when she suggested such a wonderful book!! My name is Erin, and I am the mother of four very fun little redheaded boys (8,6,3, and 2 years old) and one more baby on the way (due May 2nd)!!

I'm not sure what chapter we are supposed to be discussing at present, but I wanted to make a very general statement about this book so far (I'm on Chapter 5). I have been charmed into noticing the details of my life as if in slow motion, and I am thoroughly taking life in and loving it!! I am so much more aware of the blessings of the simple and ordinary in my life, and for that I am so grateful!!

In Chapter One I love the way she describes the fall in the garden. . .

"We are hungry. We eat. We are filled. . . . and emptied. And, still we look at the fruit and see only the material means to fill our emptiness. We don't see the material world for what it is meant to be: as the means to communion with God."

And, then later in this chapter she talks about how God means to fill us with His glory and grace. . .

"It is one thing to choose to take the grace offered at the cross. But to choose to live as one filling with His grace? Choosing to fill with all that He freely gives and fully live. . ."

How I would love to live with this clarity every moment of every day!!! To live as Brother Lawrence ~ practicing the presence of God moment by moment, breath by breath. To be in communication, conversation with Him all throughout the day ~ praying more and thinking less ~ eyes opened wide to God in each moment of each day ~ the way we were meant to live!

And, I love the way she refers to God at the end of the first chapter as "the God who we endlessly crave."

Amen!!

1 comment:

JenniferLayne said...

Hi Erin! It is so great to "meet" you. How do you know Gretchen? Gretchen...do you feel like lots of your worlds are colliding with friends from different parts of your life connecting in one place?

I have been struck with an almost magical (I only mean that in the whimsical, fun magical sort of way!) sense of slowing down, noticing the details. I loved how you said you've been "charmed". Yes! Me too!

She is so gifted at pointing out the simple and the ordinary...well, her journey in discovering the gift of the simple and the ordinary. I am struck by the way she is noticing these things not in the midst of perfection or complete order, but in the midst of REAL life, sometimes quiet and simple, but sometimes QUITE chaotic and loud. I don't know about you, but this house full of boys is OFTEN chaotic and loud. I am slowly choosing to be filled not only during my daily quiet time, but also right in the middle of everything!!

LOVE it!